Saturday 10 May 2014

A piece of advice for others: BEDM Day 10

You are not alone. EVERYBODY IS MAKING IT UP. Everybody is winging it ALL THE TIME.

When you’re young, you think that all adults are right because they’re adults.  When you’re young you think that all police officers must be good people because they’re police officers. When you’re young you think that all teachers know everything because they’re teachers.

I remember the day when I realised I knew more about something than a teacher. It was eye-opening, wonderful and a little disconcerting. I wasn’t that old -  I went home and talked to my parents about it, but didn’t really think any further about it.

I only remembered it years later as I gradually realised that adults can be as fallible and stupid as children, they’ve just been doing it longer and have more experience.

Now I’m settled into a career, I think about it all the time.  Every time I have a meeting or people seek my advice on something, or ask my opinion; part of me wonders what the hell they think I know about it

WHY ARE YOU ASKING ME?!

And I don’t exactly make up the answer. I’m well qualified, experienced, successful- but I still go: URK! Erm... What about....blahdyblahblah? And I try to wrap it up in a nice succinct sentence that sounds considered, erudite and convincing.

But really?  We’re all winging it all the time.

I know my stuff, no doubt about it, but no-one really KNOWS the answer to half the questions they get asked – certainly not in my workplace. You suggest a strategy, usually one that’s worked before in a similar situation, then hope for the best.

So my advice?  Don’t worry about being unsure. Everyone is. Uncertainty is ubiquitous and useful. 

Certainty can be much more damaging. 

We make a good pretence at being self-assured and in control.

But most of us are making it up as we go along, and hoping no-one will notice.  And nine times out of ten it does the job and everyone says “Oh, he’s so knowledgeable! He’s the man to ask.”


Imagine if we were all honest about it too?  What a world that would be...





No comments:

Post a Comment