Saturday 18 May 2013

Day 18: Tell a story from your childhood (#BEDM)


Okay, okay.  I *know* I said I survived parental divorce unscathed, and in the main that’s true. I am undamaged by the process, and it totally was best for everyone.

In the long run.

But a few years prior, when I was maybe eight, maybe nine, my father left the family home to live with another lady. I’m not sure how long it lasted, but he lived there for quite a while, to the point where my brother and I visited him and his new lady friend at weekends, and took day trips and stuff.

And this spell I took much harder

The details are unimportant, but I remember my mum crying a lot. At some point my father moved back in, and we carried on as before, though I realise now it probably wasn’t *quite* as before. But for the duration, my enduring memory is of my mum crying.

A lot.

And me worrying about her.

A lot.

The most striking memory I have of this time is one that has always interested me since, as it was my first encounter with psychosomatic illness. To be brief- I used to walk to school through a residential area, then climb a small fence, then run across a meadow to my primary school gates. It was a sort of short cut that everyone used; all the mums used to walk pupils to the fence, then stand gossiping idly whilst watching the children climb the fence and make their way across the meadow.

Presumably, because they didn’t want their children walking all the way alone, and because they didn’t want to scale the fence in front of the other mums.

Then one day, we were going in late- because of an appointment or something, one assumes –my mum bade me farewell at the fence, I hopped over and made my way across the meadow. And I looked back and waved, as I often did.

And she was standing there on her own. No other mums there talking. And I became acutely aware that she was going back to the house on her own. To be alone. And that she was on her own a lot now. And that she would probably cry.

And she just looked so small.

And I turned round a few more times and waved as I walked across the meadow. And then I stopped walking and started crying and just ran back. I ran back all the way across the meadow, sobbing, until I got back the fence. Mummy was a bit worried initially- I was crying wildly, and having a bit of an unconsciously self-induced asthma/panic attack. I don’t remember the conversation, but I ended up going back home with her.

But she knew.

She knew I’d gone back for her, because I was worried about her, and felt guilty for leaving her on her own. 

She knew what I was doing- so I would be taken home and she wouldn’t be alone in the house. I think it happened a couple more times before she addressed it more directly and nipped it in the bud. I didn’t miss more than a couple of afternoons I expect.

But it was a strange turning point.

In my adult life, I am the emotional support for her and her many, many issues. I don’t tend to need much emotional support from her now- so our roles have reversed a bit. And that was it. That was the point at which I started worrying about her, and orchestrating events to protect her from things, which gradually evolved into me giving her advice about problems and situations.

Which I do quite a bit now.

I suppose I started seeing her as fragile, and adjusted my response, and our roles adjusted accordingly.
It sounds a bit unhealthy when I relate it like this, but it wasn’t really. She just needed more taking care of at that point than I did.

I’m not sure it ever switched back after that, mind...


No comments:

Post a Comment